Sunday, June 25, 2017

'disappearing' generational WORDS

True happening: Little one (she's 5.5 years old) heard a song and said this is a new song. I told her it was actually an old song, written long ago that was in a hymnal. She said but a girl is singing it. For the life of me, I couldn't understand what she was telling me.
Step onto the scene, darlin' D ~ dad!
He proceeded to define hymnal. "It's a collection of songs, literature and scripture we use in church."

Little one, "we don't have music books in church. And you mean, like my collection of Bob Reading Books." The cute part of this happening was the hym = him and her wanting in to be a her book.  It was cute …. words, there's so many of them.  Oh & I have been guilty of making up a few words too!!

And to be honest, she hasn't ever seen a hymnal, yet she was able to grasp the concept of collection.

So …… it made my mind race thinking of all the hymnals I've held, studied, sung from. Oh I was happy!! Is she going to miss something, I thought out loud. And Darlin' D said" think of the other generational 'words' she won't ever be exposed to."
1. hymnals
2. inter-office mail
3. short hand, as in stenography
4. memorandum

Was the short list that quickly came to mind.
What about you? Can you think of any generational disappearing words?

Then my heart landed on:
Psalm 119:105
"Your word is a lamp for my feet and a light on my path"

Be blessed and have a great Sunday.

No comments: